My favorite things

Dec 12, 2009

Three singers from Sixties, Anita, Carmen and Nina

In alphabetical order, that is.

I didn't realize that Carmen was this beauty. I am wondering if she is the person who I saw and listened to playing piano with her own trio at 1967 Newport Jazz Fes. That was much too earthy.

I didn't have a chance to hear her live while living in Ft. Lee, NJ. But I had a chance to listen to this lady, Anita O'day at Five Spot. I think it was there. But this is kind of surprise Anita singing a part of saxophone of Woody Herman. Besides, it's nice to see Carmen making a comment on Anita.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdHMAzN2Hxk

I cannot bring in this video. So I recommend you to check it clicking on URL.

"Anita O'day Three Sound" was the first record I bought on her. It is nostalgic just looking at Verve mark, doesn't it.



Now I've found the lady I saw at the Newport Jazz Festival. It was Nina Simone. She sounds earthy though not that much as I remember. But I must correct my impression because of this video. She must come from wealthy family. She knows how Bach was. So. . . .?

No comments:

Post a Comment