My favorite things

Aug 3, 2009

Oscar Peterson, the greatest pianist.

I didn't know till this day the death of Oscar Peterson. There are some reasons. I don't read those publications on music anymore. Nor I check online source on who's who type of directory.

I had learned a lot from his standard jazz collection. Yes, he had issued a series on great composers of so-called standard numbers. There wasn't long improvisation. His play was a few choruses for each tune.

They are just beautiful. Yeah, I agree that there is some plays that he has failed to create beautiful alley of tones. But as always, his powerful voicing did astound me and I was just awed.

I have been going through Google Alert and have found a young man, Benny Green. Well he looks young. You can hear "Taking chance of Love" with his? trio. As far as this performance is concerned, he sounds like trying out beat drums and base. His tempo is a bit different from those rhythm. Oscar had never been that. He rides on rhythm.

One more thing, Benny's left hand doesn't match to Oscars'. Voicing is rather simple with Benny if compared to Oscar.

But, I envy Benny. Yes, he definitely is the person to devise some kind of breakthrough.

No comments:

Post a Comment