My favorite things

May 19, 2010

Erroll Garner, the steady beat.

Hey, this is the Garner style. Tempo is good. I hear a little Bud Powell, don't you? His left hand sure amazes me every time I hear. But Garner wasn't my favorite. If you listen to the second tune, In a mellow Tone, you'll realize why he couldn't be mu favorite. He could fake the melody line but never be the excellent improvisation performer, I'd say.




But well, I like his intonation. That appears his third tune, Don't worry 'bout me. His ballad play is kind of boring and easily gets into the category of cocktail piano. He cannot be a player who can go along with drummer of bassist, I assume. You feel thrill with driving piano but never with the accompanist, right?

He's gone in 1977, at his age of 55. It's a long time ago. According to the WikiPedia, he's been active till 1974.I see interesting comment on him in the wiki, saying "Short in stature (5 foot 2 inches) Garner performed sitting on multiple telephone directories, except when playing NY, where Manhattan phone book was sufficient." Mmmmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment